- Open-call Art Show at the Laundromat
- SUPER SETTINGS! – consulting and installation
- news and interviews (and science) internet TV show (group project w/ San Marcos folks)
- Commitment Cafe — part of the free school; kind of a paradoxical combo of words; we want people to experience the positive feelings associated with accomplishing a goal — to that end, we champion (carry a flag for) i.e. encourage flexible structure of the buddy system or committee type, placed in a comfortable context.
- Make Rert give birth to an educational Video company (ex: Molly’s “How To Brush a Dog”)
- no more art; just “[Absurd] Crafts”
- a show of only Really Long Things
- getting serious about dance by forming a group with some musicians (female would be a welcome change) to get together in a dance studio (or other well-lit setting) to play and shoot video from fun angles.
- Reviving… THE MONTHLY COMMUNITY PUPPET SHOW! a Variety show for the E X T E N D E D Family. For example, in one part, you tell the news.
So! Anyone wanna get started on anything? I have questions barring the way on some of these, so help me if you can: 1) I am stubbornly obsessed lately with thoughts of “masonry”, building with rocks, cinder blocks, mortar mix, mud. Maybe good walls make for good neighbors, maybe also a maze or puppet theater would be best, but really I need some advice. Come to my back yard and stand in it with me. Many people have already been there during Junk-a-thon… but the rest of the days, I want to spend more time out there, but I ccan’t stop thinking of
big stones and where to place them.
It may be that it is just fine the way it is. So my need to create, to domesticate, might be an imposition.
But then again, I do have instinct. This is one, this weird rock part of it. And then the bringing people together for hand-made entertainment and sharing- that too. I think I like it.
It’s hard to know how to communicate all this sometimes, and when I am not communicating, the things in my head don’t seem quite real. (and they stay in my head). But I think they are; they’re not premonitions, just urges.
This morning I went to an “oculo- and cosmetic surgeon” because my optometrist insisted that sebaceous cell carcinoma be ruled out as an explanation for my inflamed eyelid gland. I knew however, that this $120 consultation would only lead to a prescription for an even more expensive, not necessarily necessary, procedure, which it did, and which I can’t afford. (I’m going to see what acupuncture can do.) But the woman working reception was very warm. As I was sitting down she scanned my paperwork, and she asked if I was a writer. Because, “With two middle names, you ought to be a writer!” Well, thanks! Maybe I will.
Alright, I’m going to change back to Journalist for awhile. -Ready?-
Can you find: inner tube, pine cone, paper clip, a thought, engagement ring, magic yellow notebook ?
book shown: Between Heaven and Earth, a comprehensive and accessible book about Chinese medicine.
P.S. I am soon going to interview the practitioners at Neighborhood Acupuncture Project soon and write a feature.
Some recent highlights: YESTERDAY: An adventurous day with my twin nieces in Imaginationland. Then the Night Viking lasagna family dinner was nice.
MONDAY: School without walls had a hand-sewing class that went very well. We all made tiny heart pillows, except for Marina, who made a football. / Before that I modeled more vintage clothing for Leah’s Threadhunter business… / After that, got a little more balanced internally at The Neighborhood Acupuncture Project clinic. / Then the O.P.E.R.A. House got together to make a crazy flyer for our upcoming May project (at Co-Lab): Teeny Tiny Diorama-rama Zoo. It’s an open-call show for dioramas, but we are going to make a zoo installation as context for the entries. Dioramas due opening night: May 23rd! / Finally, watched The Devil and Daniel Johnston and slept.
Tonight, Night Viking is playing our first show since January 28th! Show starts 9:30 at the Chaindrive. The opening act, Sunday Papers, is reminiscent of Elliott Smith, in a good way. We’re 2nd and we are really revved up! After us is The Smiling Knights and Bridge Farmers, whom I have not seen, and probably won’t since I have to get up early tomorrow…
Well, wow. Thanks to everyone who came! I had a great weekend. Got some good stuff, passed along some things, saw a lot of good faces, shot some video (coming soon at palfloat.com!) and… much more. Here are some of the few pictures I took:
Anyone else want to share remarks? Did you get a fortune egg? Comment!